Koetong - Home of the Historic Koetong Pub
Koetong is a beautiful area situated on the Murray Valley Highway approximately half way between Tallangatta and Corryong.
Surrounded by cows grazing on rolling hills and lush pine plantations, the Koetong Pub is the perfect place to stop for a hearty country meal or a light refreshment. The pub dates from the early 1870's, when tin and gold mining were carried out in the area.
Koetong provides access to the Mount Lawson State Park which covers 13,150 hectares and is known for its steep slopes and rocky bluffs. There are several walking tracks and four wheel drive tracks in the National Park.
Koetong is home to the spectacular Edgars Road Trestle Bridge and Boggy Creek Trestle Bridge. The historic wooden Boggy Creek Trestle Bridge is four kilometres from Koetong and was built in 1915 for use by the railway. Today, the Boggy Creek Trestle Bridge has been faithfully restored and boasts a picnic table here and a short scenic walk.
The Edgars Road Trestle Bridge is located in Koetong and has also been recently restored. Volunteers have spent many hours on this old wooden trestle rail bridge, one of the highlights of the Upper Murray section of the High Country Rail Trail. It is popular with artists and photographers as well as those seeking a short, scenic walk or ride.
The High Country Rail Trail runs from Koetong to Shelley and can be accessed from Edgar's road at Koetong. This 22km long section of Rail Trail includes both trestle rail bridges mentioned above and terminates at the old Shelley Station, after winding it's way through natural forest and pine plantation areas.
When driving along the Murray Valley Highway, there will be no escaping the fact that this is a popular place for Pine Trees. Shelley and Koetong are both home to HVP Plantations Radiata Pine Plantations. The pine plantations themselves are not open to the public but there are still beautiful places to stop to enjoy the nearby lookouts and attractions and to breathe in the fresh pine mountain air. HVP purchased the Koetong and Shelley Pine Plantations from State Government in 1998 and it has been owned and run by HVP ever since. HVP manage approximately 43244 acres of continuous plantations which include approximately 12355 acres of native bush, reserved for conservation. The HVP Plantations contribute to local employment in the area.